20 SEPT 2023
I asked chat GPT to give me 5 important things to remember on my birthday. Here’s what it told me…
1. Cherish Relationships: Birthdays are a reminder of the people who care about you. Value and nurture your relationships with friends and family, as they bring joy and support to your life.
This is definitely one I can vibe with. My family have given me support and stability throughout my life - they are I guess, the ‘safety net’ that not everybody is lucky enough to have, so I count myself lucky everyday to have them alive, healthy and happy (something which can be taken away at any moment). I’m also fortunate to have found such an amazing person in my wife, who supports me, makes me accountable, keeps me on my toes, and constantly reminds me how great I am and how much I mean to her (which is the last thing this ego needs).
2. Embrace Change: Each year, you grow older and wiser. Embrace change, as it brings new experiences, opportunities, and personal growth.
I know a lot of people dread getting a year older, but I’m happy to say I’m not one of them. Change is a constant, growth is non-linear and death is certain. Staying acutely aware of how far I’ve come since my early 20’s helps me actually look forward to getting older (should I be so lucky), partly because I still have so much to learn to be a better person. I’m always looking to tweak my career to edge closer to my goals of working less while earning more, travelling the world, creating incredible memories, helping people thrive and never needing an alarm clock (for someone who hates early mornings I picked the wrong career).
3. Pursue Passions: Life is short, so follow your passions and do what makes you happy. Don't be afraid to explore your interests and set goals to achieve your dreams.
This is what I want for my future - to continue playing football until I’m old and grey, continue strength training until the day I die, travel my bucket list, and nurture my brain by reading, writing, language learning and problem solving. If I can spend my days pursuing these passions I will have done myself justice.
4. Practice Gratitude: Take time to reflect on the blessings in your life. Being grateful for what you have can lead to greater happiness and contentment.
Feel like chat GPT is repeating itself a bit here, but whatever. I already said how grateful I am for the relationships in my life but let’s lean into that a bit more. I’ve got a large and incredible group of pals from school and university who are still in my life who I see on a regular basis, I don’t think many people in their mid-30’s are lucky enough to have this. All of my guys have partners and some have young families who are now by proxy part of our friendship group, which means tons of birthdays, celebrations and excuses to link up. I hope we maintain these bonds for life.
5. Take Care of Yourself: Your well-being is essential. Prioritise self-care, both physically and mentally, to lead a fulfilling and balanced life.
Yeah I like this one, I guess this one is what this whole new newsletter is all about. Today I celebrated my 35th birthday with 35 press ups (15, then 20), 35 squats (15, then 20) and 35 pull ups (10, then 10, then 3 x 5) - and if you’re wondering have I considered how insanely fit and strong I’ll need to be by my 80th birthday? No, no I haven’t. But if I reach that milestone I’ll give my 80 press ups, squats and pull ups a crack.
Finally, Chat GPT told me:
Happy Birthday, and may your year ahead be filled with happiness, success, and meaningful experiences! 🎉🎂🎈 Well cheers for that. You’re a good mate, AI.